REVIEW : Portable Workstation FRONTIER WARGAMING
French Version available here
Today I wanted to review a pretty uncommon stuff.
Quite often we have to handle our painting stuff, our minis, to paint somewhere, and this is often done with the box or wallet we have in house. Often using a figurines transport foam case, converted to bring paint and stuff.
Here is a very good alternative.
By a wonderful autumn day, I received a big box coming from Latvia 😉
A nice dark wooden case, really like the wood tone… and with our blog logo in the front !
Let’s have a look inside
Yes !! There is light !! Two LED narrow bands can be moved outside the top, an electric plug on the back is used to plug it. AC adapter is provided.
The content :
– 4 little cubicles, transparent front : useful for storing little stuff… avoid sand or flocking… we will see later on why.
– One bigger case : better for brushes and tools.
– Another transparent front cubicle : a bit larger then the 4 other ones.
– A pretty ingenious rack, to fix miniature parts, or small miniatures… forget about the bigger ones 😉 6 slots.
– Finally, 3 big racks for paint pots. No insert with holes in it, thus compatible with all paint ranges, but with the risk of moving pots inside if the entire rack is not full.
Overall, this is pretty nice, well arranged.
To get an precise idea, I took the case for a painting session at the club.
We could find indeed a place for everything…
– I fixed a cork part on one of the holders, much better to pin a small miniature on it.
– The middle place of the case have sufficient room to fix a large miniature, even huge one like my Attila from Scale 75… Alternatively, below paint rack is also an option.
– A big water pot fits also pretty well. I took only one of the 3 paint racks. I do not have a lot of occasion to take so much paints. Even in a single rack, you can fit plenty of those. I preferred to remove 2 paint racks, to free space for miniatures. Of course the case is not a figure transport case, but allows bringing with you your current project easily.
That’s light !! Indeed LED are nice, but occasionally. It’s strong.. and slightly blueish.. then a bit false in term of colors perception. Maybe other LED exists to switch to a more “daylight” temperature.
The power plug on the back is nice, discreet.. nevertheless, and it’s not really visible, but the cables and electric node are just hidden below the handle grip. This could have been attached or fixed somehow.. to be a bit less “draft”
Talking about the Grip.. this is the less good point.. just a bit simple.. Good styling compared to the wood aspect, rustic.. but not very nice for the hand skin… maybe leather band would have been more achieved.
As you can see on the picture, you can fit some painting paper to mix your paint.. or a cutting mat, in the small gap between interior and door before closing. (by the way, the door closes very strongly.. well done)
This case MUST be placed only vertically, one can imagine what would happen if you put the case horizontally… Sounds trivial, but you should know it, this is the difference between figure transport case with foam.
Just a little issue : the transparent front of some boxes inside, are not glued very well, and can be easily removed when taking out the little cubicles. Few minutes with correct glue application are needed to fix them again.
I will feedback this to the company.
Moreover, the finger holes to pick up the cubicles are way too small for normal fingers… I got difficulties to remove them.
Finally, I am pleased with this paint station. Elegant box, useful, moreover not too heavy. To me, no other real similar product exists over the web… Light is slightly blue indeed, but largely sufficient to paint occasionally, racks and cubicles could handle everything you need to paint outside your home… A couple of figure could be fixed inside also, if you don’t need 3 full rack of paint pots 😉
Customization of the front door is a real plus… always nice to get YOUR personalized case.
Gluing of the transparent faces of cubicles should be improved, the grip could be more fancy.
The station costs 110 dollars + shipping… The builder is really receptive, friendly, and shipping is fast.
Their website : http://frontierwargaming.com
I hope you like this review